Pages

Monday, October 03, 2005


This past week I drove up to ASU to drop off some artwork that I donated to the Scottsdale Arts Organization to raise money for the Hurricane Katrina victims. I am glad to give something to people who have suffered so much tragedy in one lifetime. It is bad enough to be brought up poor. Maybe this will help these folks get out of the stuck place they were already in.

Every time I go to a museum, I am both humbled and inspired by the work I see. The works of Akio Takamori are no exception. The body of work presented as a whole was moving. There were about a hundred figurative pieces of pottery altogether with several that were almost envelope-like, teapot shaped and full figures that stood at about ¼ life size. I found the amount of straight drawing in the works to really answer my question from last week about drawing being considered an art. The stoneware works would be lifeless without the drawings on them! There was also a nice collection of prints by the artist and a fantastic self-portrait done in watercolors that was about 4’x4’ and the colors in the work were the same as the colors used on all of the pottery.

Takamori will be giving a lecture this Friday, October 7th at 7 p.m. at Neeb Hall and then giving a ceramic demonstration this Saturday from 10-4p.m. I would love to be able to attend.

This weekend I hope to be going back up to Phoenix for “Ripple, Respond, Relieve, Rebuild” as the musicians that are performing are from Louisiana and will be given part of the proceeds earned by the fundraiser.